Re: [kDev] KendraBase update...

On Dec 19, 2003, at 5:51 pm, Phillip Temple wrote:
My recommendation:
* GPL for application level infrastructure tools - this will encourage people to contribute and share code, where initial momentum is important and it's unlikely to be of great commercial value (people will write their own slicker implementation for commercial versions, just ripping off the best ideas) * BSD for daemon/protocol reference implementations - provides a leg-up and shorter time to market for those that want to run with our architecture * useful libraries (eg for RPC or an OSI layer abstraction) put under LGPL * the rest keep binary-only and the rights remain with the author/company that makes it available

Could you explain the *reasoning* behind your recommendations?

You've explained the benefits of each license but I don't see how you get to those conclusions.

... a centre of expertise and sell services...

Just to be clear we can't sell services but we can ask for donations, sponsorship and grants to keep the project going.

Cheers Daniel