Re: [kDev] Why KendraBase?... (was: The idea could be good...)

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 16:24, Daniel Harris wrote:
> Right, but I am not a developer. I'd love to be but it's just not me.
> So, I need to get someone to develop PN. A volunteer would be great.
> But I'll probably have to pay.

It depends on how (non-over)ambitious you are. If you get people excited
about the project and the spec is clear then you can probably get a
volounteer.

> That'll be a waste of time/money but it does depend how quick
> KendraBase becomes useful, I guess. We'll have a better idea once a
> demo is up and we can rip-it-to-bits.

It won't cost any time or money. Here you go:
http://kendra.progressivepublishing.com/

Click on the first administration link and start customising it to the
way you want. It's really easy and intuitive.

> > Question is: how is what you've got NOW better than plugging in PN?
>
> It's not. PN is better. But there is a cost in time and money to get PN
> up and running. And we have to weigh up if the benefit is large enough
> to warrant the effort. We have wiki and email lists now but I can see
> PN does a lot more. It's an unknown for me. Do you feel confident?

It took me under 5 mins to get it installed and hosted for you.

> > I'm only suggesting it as an interim solution, and the database can
> > always be extracted and transformed for importation into Kendrabase
> > when constructed.
>
> OK. Now if you were to say "Daniel, I have PN up and running and I'm
> happy to show you around, explore the modules with you to see if they
> fit requirements and answer your questions on it. And if you are
> positive then I'll either sort PN for Kendra voluntarily or give you a
> quote". Then I'd say great, let's go for it. What do you say?

Really, if you aren't prepared to spend a few mins having a play then I
really don't have time to hold your hand for something so simple. It's
all installed and ready for you to go. If you find a really nice theme
then I'll install it for you. If you want me to host the DNS for
kendra.org.uk (again) then I'll do that too. Not a problem. You'll
probably want someone else to do nice graphics for you though as I'm a
terrible artist.

Phillip.