Re: [kDev] License of responsibility...

Hi there All,

If you are interested in coding for kendraProject then it's really important that you keep up with ideas about the software license. Dave Cridland asked about licenses so I think this is now timely to discuss. What follows is a proposal and needs your comments...

From discussions it seems that kendraFoundation should own all code created within these project walls and then license it out using a free (open source) software license.

*Before* you read on make sure you read this introduction as it explains where I'm coming from:
http://www.kendra.org.uk/lists/archive/k-developers/msg00070.html

A note on branding (as suggest by Ben Laurie of The Apache Software Foundation last year): keep "kendra" in the name of all products. Ben said he had seen many problems arising from naming different deliverables of the Apache project with unrelated titles. Problems mostly to do with brand recognition and trademarking. Hence my writing kendraInitiative, kendraTools, etc. No one has yet commented on it so I carry on.

So, continuing thoughts on the license of responsibility (note this is all just draft copy at the moment and needs your comments). I thought about calling it LOR or KLOR. Then Ann Harris (yes, my Mum gets credit too! ;-) came up with LORE - as in "Knowledge acquired through education or experience". Which kind of fits as you'll see. So, perhaps the way to write it is kendraLore...

-----

kendraLore - Kendra License Of Responsibility

Copyright (c) 2003, kendraFoundation
All rights reserved.

This is a tool to bring dreams to reality. This is a methodology. It's a way of doing and thinking about something. It does not purport to be a statement of "fact" or "truth" or "what's really out there". Use it if it works for you. If it doesn't work for you then bad luck, keep looking. It's just a suggestion.

Everything you do and say changes the world to some degree and so plays its part in creating the current state of the world. If you have dreams, mission and/or goals then everything you do and say takes you closer to or further away from them. You are constantly deciding what you say and do - that includes what you do not say and do not do. You are responsible for these decisions and, hence, for what you say and do. Hence, you are, to some degree, responsible for creating the current state of the world.

In order to realise and create your dream/mission/goal you must take a first step (one of many) towards it. To step to somewhere (different from where you are now) you have to step from somewhere (where you are now). To deny yourself as having created where you are now will deny yourself the ability to create your next step towards your goal. Or, to put it another way, if you can't take responsibility for where you are now then you'll never be able to take responsibility for wherever you go. Or, to put it another way, if you want something to happen then make it happen and don't go blaming other people for reasons why your dream is not currently manifested.

By using this software you may want to acknowledge that you have fully understood and really thought about, to the best of your ability, the words contained in this license. And that means that you may have an opinion about it.

If a legal entity can hope then kendraFoundation hopes that whatever you do with this software may it assist you in creating/realising your own vision/dream of the world.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted with no requirements/restrictions placed on you. Have fun! ;-)

This software is provided by kendraFoundation "as is" and any express or implied warranties, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose are disclaimed. In no event shall kendraFoundation be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, exemplary, or consequential damages (including, but not limited to, procurement of substitute goods or services; loss of use, data, or profits; or business interruption) however caused and on any theory of liability, whether in contract, strict liability, or tort (including negligence or otherwise) arising in any way out of the use of this software, even if advised of the possibility of such damage.

This text contained herein is licensed under the terms of kendraLore.

-----

Before we go live, we'll submit kendraLore to FSF/GNU and OSI for compatibility testing...

Cheers Daniel